Helio is Hiring: Lab Technician - Chemical Synthesis
At Helio Display Materials Ltd, we are creating materials based on the outstanding properties of metal halide perovskites for a new generation of brighter and more colourful displays that use significantly less power. We work with the best scientific and commercial brains in our field to expedite solid research and development. We are a well-funded, dynamic start-up entering a new phase of expansion.
About the role
We are seeking a Lab Technician - Chemical Synthesis [Ref: T2] to join our core material synthesis team to execute lab work following synthesis, and characterization protocols. The successful candidate will work closely with our experienced chemists and material scientists to progress our core technology to the next stage of performance required for our products and applications.
You will be located in our brand new office and laboratories which have been custom designed for Helio. We are based in an attractive location 10 minutes from central Oxford and near public transport.
You will receive a competitive salary depending on experience and the opportunity to benefit from the company's tax efficient share option scheme.
This is a unique opportunity to join the company at an early stage and to progress your career as the company grows. If you believe you could bring valuable skills and ideas to the company, we’d love to hear from you.
- Synthesis of perovskite nanocrystals and optimisation of synthetic processes
- Characterisation of synthesis products and intermediates using chemical (FTIR, NMR, …) and optical methods (UV-Vis, PL, microscopy)
- Reliability testing following specific protocols
- Plan and execute experiments under the guidance of an expert principal scientist.
- Perform all laboratory work in a safe manner and adhere to company policies
- Share basic maintenance and housekeeping duties of laboratory equipment and chemistry laboratories areas
- Record synthesis and data into company database
- Maintain stock of all reagents, chemicals and consumables
- Reporting of experimental procedures and results
We are looking for candidates who can demonstrate:
- Minimum HNC/HND in Chemistry, materials science or related disciplines
- Experience with common chemical and optical analytical methods
- Ability to work independently
- Excellent observational and record keeping skills
- Good interpersonal and communications skills, and the ability to work as part of a team
- Good time management and planning skills
- Self-motivated, diligent, well organised and pro-active learner
- Ability to consistently follow strict synthetic protocols
The following experience is desirable:
- 2+ years experience in a commercial R&D entity
- Experience working in a chemistry laboratory
- Experience with synthesis of inorganic nanoparticles
You will need to have the right to work in the UK.
Helio is committed to treating everyone equally and with the same attention and respect regardless of their age, disability, gender, marital status, colour, ethnic or national origin, religion or sexual orientation.